Sunday 22 July 2012

Our Dearest God: Madiba

Every South-African will be able to tell you that a big thing happened this week. It was the birthday celebrations of our former president and world renowned celebrity Nelson Mandela.

In my opinion that is a very big problem.

I have no issue with having a "hero" figure, a role-model to look up to. It is in fact a very important part of creating a healthy society. I am also well aware of everything he represents and that it is only beneficial for our society. I am glad for the 67 minutes that everyone gives of their time, to maybe achieve greatness equal to his.

The problem comes, however when a society starts to idolize a man. A normal, living, breathing, AGING, man. It is as if we are basing our entire value system and way of life in a country on a single man. As if we would be unable to continue without him.

And now comes the part where I usually get the most criticism, because I put it very rashly.
I honestly think that Mandela can die now.
The media hounds him, watching his every move. As soon as a medical problem is detected, the country goes in to a state of emergency.

We need to live beyond and without Mandela.
Yes he is a great person and yes he is amazing and YES, we need to remember his values.
But we must be careful of creating a God of an ordinary man.



Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment