Sunday 17 June 2012

Fashion vs Function

Ah yes, the age old debate of Fashion versus Function. Do you design something that is useful or do you design something that is aesthetically appealing (in simple words "pretty").

What inspired this question recently in me is that, due to our cold winter and short money supply (sending me to Italy for two weeks has pretty much bankrupted my parents) my mum had suggested that I wear my sweaters on alternate weeks. The thing is... One of them is totally a cool sweater and the other is an ancient fleece hoodie that should not be seen in public....

Okay so I might have exaggerated it's awesomeness,
but it's way better than...

...this. I mean, look at it!!!












She doesn't seem to get the reason for my strenuous objections to this statement.

Now back to the subject at hand. What is more important?

If you ask any girl (and these days a few guys too), they'l l tell you that function has obviously taken the back seat. Okay wait, now I'm stereotyping. Any person who cares what someone (including their own parents or partner or that one weird teacher at school... I seem to be giving all the wrong examples...) thinks of them, should answer you in that way. Probably the best example of this are the shoes we wear!

Gals you know what I mean! Heels are torturous!!! but you have your reasons.... just look at the various torture devices at my friends blog: Under the Sun http://underthesun-marli.blogspot.com/2012/06/why-woman-torture-themselves-with-high.html It makes no sense, but hey we do it.

My friends are however concerned that my designs border on crazy, something they would only wear to a huge formal event (like a red carpet event or a matric dance). The problem remains, do I live out my dreams and fantasies (brought on by an overdose of fantasy literature) through my designs, or do I design things people will actually want to wear?

Strange...
Normal?
Stranger...
Casual?

I guess it's the challenge for each designer (and consumer, YES THAT MEANS YOU!) to find their own middle ground between fashion and function... Will you opt for the more crazy, or do you prefer something normal and practical? You choose... 




What is... 

... middle ground? 

Thanks to the guys who actually read through all the girly stuff :) Peace off!

No comments:

Post a Comment