Sunday 3 June 2012

I will NEVER understand...

There are some people in this life that I will just NEVER understand.

Like idiocy and stupidity (I get very irritated with those). Or those people who look horrible in a shoppingmall (did you not look in the mirror before coming?). Or doctors for that matter. You have to be insane to be able to handle everything you see every day.

But recently I have discovered a new kind of personality that I cannot understand.

Frequently when we finish school for the day, my mum can't come fetch us immediately. So we stroll to the local library. Recently we have been joined by a fourth person in this pilgrimage to the library and home (he joined our lift club). Darren*.

The other day we reached the library as usual. This is usually the best time to do homework, because I don't have a lot of time at home and there's wonderful referencing materials. So I pull out my books and quickly run through my maths and science. (okay, maybe it didn't exactly go quickly...). After finishing my homework, my favourite library activity is to forage between the rows of books for a new discovery, that I have yet to read. Finally  find a tempting specimen and grab it off the shelf, not really intending to borrow it, just to read as far as I can. I make my way to the table where I did my homework and there it hits me.

There is Darren*, sitting with his body spilling over the far too small chair. Sitting there in a room FILLED with books. Full of other worlds, full of interesting personalities, full of breathtaking adventures. A treasure chest of  literary gold. There he is, sitting smack-bang in the middle of a library. On His Stupid Ever-Present CELLPHONE!!!

I nearly fell over dead right there. Have children just not learned to read. Do they even know what they are missing. Is our world so illiterate that we would rather "txt" and "game" than pick up a good book and read the hours away?




Come on peeps! prove me wrong!!!!!!!


*name has been changed for fear that he will be persecuted by book lovers internationally.

No comments:

Post a Comment